Friday, July 13, 2012

Colonoscopy

So today I had a colonoscopy ordered by my doctor due to some "issues". It's a weird and touchy subject to talk about with people, because people are uncomfortable with the subject. PLUS it's not normal for someone of my age to be getting one, but my doctor suggested it and it makes me feel better knowing that nothing is wrong.

The worst part about the whole thing was the "prep". I was given a RX for this stuff called Moviprep, it tastes like super salty mountain dew. You have to drink that the night before you procedure and then the morning of. With nothing else except a clear liquid diet. I read SO many horror stories about the "prep" process that I think luckily I psyched myself out about it, because honestly it wasn't that bad. I mean it wasn't fun running to the toilet all night and all morning but other than that I really can't complain.

The actual colonoscopy itself was super easy, they take you in, you get undressed and hooked up to some monitors. They then took me into the procedure room and told me to lay on my side, the lady gave me some anesthesia into my IV and said "you'll start to feel some burning as this goes in" and I replied "I can feel it in my throat" she then said "nighty night" and the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room. Luckily all is good besides a few internal hemorrhoids which is normal after you have had a baby, but all other scares are gone for now!

If anyone else is suggested to get this by your doctor, do it. It can save your life, don't think just because you are young, or because there is no cancer history in your family that it can't happen to you because it can.

And on that note I am tired so I'm going to go read and relax! If anyone has any questions about the procedure or prep please feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment